Mini Update

I have crossed the half way point with my cowl, knitted from the thick and thin yarn sent to me by Melody’s Makings.  For this cowl I cast on 100 stitches and started knitting.  I began switching stitches on the ends, but stopped that when I decided to join the cowl int the round and knit on circular needles.  Because of this the join is rather messy and when I seamed things up it got sort of ugly.  I fixed this as best I could and will see how badly it looks on the right side when I am done.  If nothing else I can make sure that the ugly side stays at the back of my neck, or create an embellishment to cover over it.  So this is what over half of a cowl looks like:

IMG_2205

I presume that things will block out some.  On another note, I almost forgot that I was crocheting a lace shawl.  I found the bag, and since it is the half-granny pattern I can pick it right back up.  I made a decent start, but since it is lace weight chroma twist things are going to take forever.  Oh well, that just means that I get even more time to enjoy crocheting with the Chroma twist.

IMG_2204

Big Project Update 4

The Loom is now complete!  I cannot believe how well it turned out.  The pedals still do not work but I managed to rig up some Texsolv Cord and Arrow clips (that are specific to the cord) so that I am able to treadle with them.  I did have to tie them up in a 1, 3, 4, 2 pattern instead of 1, 2, 3, 4.  When I tried tying them up straight from 1-4 then I could not press down on 1 enough to get a good shed (lift the yarn enough to pass the shuttle through).

Before the next part, I have to give you some background information.  I live with my mother on almost 2 acres of land.  We are surrounded by a bit of forest.  The house is built into a hill, which really helps avoid flooding, with a garage under the house and another detached garage.  We use the garage under the house for the car (we share one between us), and have not been using the detached garage for much of anything since my father died 7 years ago.  This is why my weaving has stalled.

While we have not been using the garage, other creatures have decided to move in.  Specifically there are some PVC pipes on a metal rack that a family of mice has decided to move into.  This was actually alright with me for a little while, I set out traps and would play music to keep them away thinking that the traps would get them overnight one of these days.  This worked long enough for me to get a bit of a sampler project done, then one day I looked up and found a face peeking at me out of the PVC pipe.  Well that was the end of my weaving until we get someone in to get rid of the mice.  My bravery only goes so far, telling a patron that I am pretty sure is high that they need to leave the library, keep it down, watch their language; Fine.  Telling a patron that I know is drunk that they need to leave the cashbox right where it is, and taking it out of their hands; Fine.  Mice around when I am trying to relax and concentrate on my weaving; NOT FINE!

Weaving Sample 1Weaving Sample 2

I managed to get these twill samplers woven (it’s a fraction of what I wanted to do but a decent start), and as soon as someone has been in to see about the mice I will put a topcoat on my loom and start planning for next year!

Spring Weaving will be a blast!

Happy Crafting

Big Project Update 2

The Paint stripper works really well.  I did find out that I need to use steel wool to scrape the paint off and it will probably take me a couple of coats to get the little remains off, but this is much better than taking months to get a few little sections done.  The fun part of stripping the loom and getting everything reworked is that I am getting to know my loom much better.  This is very good, I know where the beater brakes are now and how that works, but it also allowed me to discover a potential problem.  As you can see in the photo above the wood by my pedals is starting to split, ack!  I am hoping that something like gorilla glue will keep it together for a good long time.  If I am able to get the glue in deep enough it should hold together.  The last two pedals are not happy if they are asked to move independently from each other, this could cause problems in the future.  Hopefully some rust remover will help them move independently.  I am also concerned about the reed, but that is the easiest fix (though a little expensive).  If the rust remover does not work for the reed then I can purchase another reed, in stainless steel this time.

Happy Crafting!

Big Project Progress Report 1

I managed to get more scraped off with my hand drill, this amount of progress makes me think that my project will take the next couple of months to finish.

Keeping that in mind, I went to the hardware store to get another drill bit because the times were wearing off of the one I have already.  The gentleman asked me why I wasn’t using a paint stripper, I did not have an answer for that!  Now I am using a paint stripper on my piece, starting tomorrow.  He also recommended a liquid rust remover that I am hoping will do some good.  I am really excited about this and cannot wait to see what a difference the paint stripper will make!

Happy Crafting!