Using my Brother Drum Carder and my Howard Hand Cards I managed to create a really amazing set of fiber preparations. The rolags at the left are from my handcards, I really like how they turned out. The middle was carded as a striped batt on my drum carder, I put it through the carder once and added a lot of sparkle that is not showing up here.
The single color batts were put through the drum carder once, again with a lot of sparkle added. The final batt looks red on one side, purple on the other, and has every color in between (along with a ton of sparkle). I tried to show the colors using the spots where I ‘nibbled’ it off of my drum carder, but they don’t show too well.
I am really looking forward to spinning each of these yarns and then plying them to make an amazing 3 ply yarn.
I also participated in the 5-shawls-5-days challenge by Aroha Knits.
Okay, so I did 3 of the 5. The last two needed double pointed needles (dpns) and a join in the round. I am good with starting but I cannot manage to join in the round. Also when I tried one of my larger needles fell out as I was trying to get the darn join in. I went on a quick buying journey to get smaller dpns and found some that were angled. I got 5″ size 8 dpns from Jimmy Beans Wool as well as the angled dpns in size 8 to see if they are easier for me to work with. I love my acrylic yarn for these samples and so I like size 8 to work with.
I really did enjoy creating these mini shawl samples. They accomplished the goal of the entire challenge which is to demystify how difficult the shawls are to create. The first, I think of it as the Nike Swish, is my personal love. I have another that I am working in a bright acrylic and I cannot wait to finish it. The process is fun and easy. The yarn looks like it is made from sherbet and I love how it is turning out. I’ll let you know how everything turns out and when I get my dpns and manage the other two shawls. Until then, Happy Crafting!