Using my Brother Drum Carder and my Howard Hand Cards I managed to create a really amazing set of fiber preparations. The rolags at the left are from my handcards, I really like how they turned out. The middle was carded as a striped batt on my drum carder, I put it through the carder once and added a lot of sparkle that is not showing up here.
The single color batts were put through the drum carder once, again with a lot of sparkle added. The final batt looks red on one side, purple on the other, and has every color in between (along with a ton of sparkle). I tried to show the colors using the spots where I ‘nibbled’ it off of my drum carder, but they don’t show too well.
I am really looking forward to spinning each of these yarns and then plying them to make an amazing 3 ply yarn.
Can you tell I’m having fun with my new Drum Carder? This is just 2 days worth of playing. Since they are art batts I am going to see about selling them online.
My drum carder came! My Brother Drum Carder finally arrived, and it is all ready to go! As you can see from my ‘unboxing’ pictures my Brother Drum Carder arrived assembled and ready to go with instructions in a lovely plastic pouch. The intake drum and larger drum are at the right depth, though there are detailed instructions for how to change that depth if needed. I will admit I followed directions from another website, I cannot find them again to give them credit, and did some sanding. I took an emery board and ran it in all directions across both drums of my carder, this was supposed to take out any little burrs left by the manufacturing process. The emery boards were all chewed up at the end of the process so I hope it worked. The carder itself works like a dream, but it really is a good idea to be up on your tetanus shot before working with something like this.
I am having an absolute blast playing with my new drum carder. I am experimenting with corriedale, merino, and some other colored wools. I will post later today or tomorrow about my new batts!