I cannot believe that it is week 7 already! I did a really neat lockspun yarn from some Mohair locks I obtained off of facebook and the faux angora that I received from the Paradise Fibers April box. I spun this on my Ladybug with a short forward draw, I did not plan on this for my faux angora but I really like how it turned out. I cannot wait to see how it knits up.
This is my first lockspun yarn, I wound up splitting the fiber while I spun the singles to add in the locks. Then I wound the yarn onto weaving bobbins to even everything out. I wound up having two weaving bobbins of the lockspun singles, part of that is simply how bulky the lockspun singles are. I then wound off the rest of the faux angora onto four other bobbins. I decided to make this into a three ply yarn, I am not sure of the yardage since my Niddy Noddy was in the cellar and I wasn’t going down there last night.
Ply Magazine, to celebrate their first book, is going to be hosting a Year-Long Spin-Along. 51 Weeks of chances to win a year-long subscription to their magazine. Being honest with myself, I cannot express how very happy I am that I pre-ordered this book before I even knew about the contest. Now I get to participate, you can without purchase, follow along, and I saved $4 off of the cover price, lol. This brings my thrifty heart a great deal of joy. More importantly than all of that, this will bring 51 weeks of challenges to one extent or another. The first few are easy enough, but I hope I will be able to get to the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival this year so I can pick up some supplies for a few of the challenges. Spinning a dual coated sheep will be interesting, but I have to find a source for the outer coat, a source for the inner coat, and a source where I can buy both coats mixed together. Likewise with the lock spinning, I can find them, but my thrifty soul has issues with spending $10+ on an ounce of locks (very pretty locks don’t get me wrong) then another $5+ for shipping and handling. If I can get a good price on some pretty locks at the festival then go me. If I cannot get there this year, that is up in the air and I’ll blog when I know, then I’ll have to suck it up and find some good sales.
Had to share the excitement! Happy Crafting!
I purchased some Fluorescent fiber from Blue Barn Fiber and spun it up. I then plied the resulting yarn with a Black Bamboo that I loved spinning. This created a beautiful yarn that fluoresces under black light, I had to buy a little black light to prove this but it really is amazing. Well, I loved the yarn but didn’t know what i was going to do with it. Since I am practicing with my weaving I thought it would be the perfect fiber to practice weaving with. I love how well, and proudly, my yarn stands out from the warp and the simple pattern is just beautiful.
I am really pleased with how this has turned out, and I will probably purchase more of the fluorescent fiber in the future. I am very pleased with how my weaving and spinning are going. I know that I am no where near expert in either craft but I am enjoying myself and learning all the time.
I am having an absolute ton of fun with my facebook fiber find. Admittedly the quality is not quite what I expected, but the colors more than make up for it. I am finding quite a bit of the fiber to be rough and in some cases sticky. The locks pull apart and are a bit course to work with, but I am pressing on!
I turned the locks into a big pile of fluff that I then spun into 2 singles that I then plied! This resulted in a coarse 2 ply yarn, about 64 yards, that I hope to make into a hat at some point, or weave into something!
Once I had the fluff carded out it was a ton of fun to spin the fiber. Look how pretty it is after being washed!
I think that this would make a great hat, or something similar. I would want to be able to show the colors off, but it is not a good fit for a piece intended to be worn next to the skin.
I have been having so much fun spinning up my Fiber Find from Facebook!
Just playing around with the already created rolags, batts, and some sections of colored fiber created a beautiful single. I then spun up a merino single which I plied with the colored single.
This is 124 yards of merino and various before it was washed. The pinks and purples are the sections of colored wool, with the rest being from batts. I have it in the water now, I cannot wait to see what it looks like when it is washed. I am so excited to start spinning my flicked open locks (I got impatient with some of the more difficult ones and wound up carding them instead). Next post will probably be about my spinning from the cloud of locks!
This is my brand new batt from Crafty Creations out of Missouri. It is a fantastic piece of fiber, and I have already started spinning it. There is an amazingly bouncy texture to this fiber that makes if very different from the Corriedale that I have been spinning. I did split the batt into three sections and I am spinning each section separately, at the end I hope to have a three ply yarn.
With some of the single left over from my plying, I attempted to Navajo Ply.
I really like how it turned out, it has an art yarn feel since my spinning isn’t very consistent right now. Watching a couple more videos, I now know that I don’t have to create a nice short consistent chain, but big long loops to ply. It will be fun to try again in the future.