This week has been interesting. My school taxes are not nearly as much as I feared, and my 3-d printer arrived. I will confess, I was a little frightened of it. More that I was worried I did not have the technical expertise to put it together properly. Those fears were completely unfounded. I purchased an AnyCubic Mega printer, it arrived with everything I needed including several different Hex keys, wrenches, clippers, and PLA filament to get started with.
Once I got over my initial apprehension I started putting it together. The instructions were clear, easy to follow, and broken down into simple steps.
Once I got over my apprehension about putting the machine together, came wiring the machine up. I decided to stop for the night and tackle wiring it in the morning. Once I started wiring it, with the exception of discovering that I put one of the side supports on with the screw holes facing inside instead of outside, the entire process was very simple.
Leveling the printer took some time, however it was well worth the effort knowing that I had done the job properly and I was ready to print. I followed the specific directions and made sure that I set the test print properly. I started the print and went off, since it was going to take 2 hours. I heard a tiny popping sound and came back to find this:
It turns out that the model popped off of the base and was being pushed around by the filament head. I stopped it before things got too messy. I plan on installing the heated plate I purchased when I bought the printer to see if that corrects the problem. I also plan on trying to print a model my sibling gave me, because according to them the default model never works quite right with this printer. I look forward to experimenting more with this. While I have purchased PLA filament to start with there are 3 other types that this printer is compatible with, I look forward to playing with all of them.
I love experimenting with new products as well as learning new skills. Remember to Live Life a Little More Abstract!
I managed to download this pattern from Thingiverse and it was created by kg6gfq. One of the libraries that I work at obtained a 3d printer about a year ago but I have not heard of it being utilized too much. Being the very curious person I am I decided to poke that particular rattlesnake and print something out. I checked out Thingiverse and found Drop spindles, bobbins, even the plans for an Espinner out of printed materials. I was over the moon, so I downloaded the ones I liked, came into work a couple of hours early, and started to mess around figuring things out. The first thing I found out was that none of the files were in a format I could use. Some checking around led me to believe that I needed them in Makerbot Formula. None of the libraries computers had that format so I would have to bring my laptop next time (my home computer is a Mac but my Laptop runs Windows 10) install Makerbot and see what I could do.
The next week I brought my laptop in (I only work at that library once a week) downloaded the software and began to convert the files, it was actually pretty simple once the program was installed. I was very happy thinking that I would now be able to print out, at least, my 3d spindle. I went home pleased with how next week was going to go.
The third week into my venture I went to work an hour early to see about getting my printout started. I plugged my usb drive in and went through the materials I wanted printed. Everything worked perfectly, time estimates, printing sizes, etc. Except that nothing would print out. There was no filament waiting to be used to print. Darn. I looked around a bit and finally had to admit, I was going to have to ask someone.
After a couple of e-mails and a further couple of weeks I now have my 3d printed turkish spindle. While it would have been a lot less aggravation to just order the thing from Turtlemade or another company that prints them, I am pleased that I now know how to convert a file to be usable on a Makerbot printer. My next steps are to see about creating an original pattern to print out, finding out what they are going to charge in the future for printing jobs, and testing out my spindle. I knew I should have brought fiber to work with me, lol.