I have been having a blast sorting thorough my stash (taking a quick break from another project). While doing so I ran across a sampler kit I had purchased with different wool breeds inside. All of the wool samples were washed, but they were still in their lock formation. To simplify things, and make sure that the preparation and spinning was not different for each type, I decided to card them and spin from the resulting rolags. The end products (once spun) were interesting. I’ll show you as I go, after letting the yarn rest a day (and clearing off a bobbin to spin with) I navajo/chain plied the yarn to keep the breeds separate. I also spun a bit of a commercially prepared merino in between most of the breeds.
This is my bobbin before this concept seeped into my mind. I started with some BFL (Blue Faced Leicester) a breed that most people rhapsodize about. I have spun commercially prepared top BFL before and enjoyed it. This fiber has a very soft hand, though this sheep must have had some tender tips or something because I wound up with some nepps in my rolags. Rather than risk more appearing I stopped after 2 passes each rolag. I did smooth this fiber down as I spun it (which should result in a less springy washed yarn).
The Lincoln had a well defined lock structure but once it had been carded the resulting wool was semi coarse. This batch did not have many nepps, and actually carded out to pretty, lofty rolags. I did not smooth this down much while I was spinning.
The Adult Mohair was a nightmare. This batch had less than 1″ staple length and the guard hairs were still present. This gave everything a slightly coarse feel but still quite silky. The main problem is that when spinning the very short fibers either clump together resulting in huge bumps or fall out altogether resulting in a huge mess. I nay be entirely wrong but I would like to say that the blame is either with the producer (it isn’t a very good fiber animal) and the seller that sold me such messy, useless fiber. If you have the patience for it and a dropcloth under your wheel this might be usable. I believe I will see if anyone can use it for felting, or something.
The very first thing I have to say about this Cross Breed fiber is: Whatever was used to wash this smells very sweet! The fibers are springy and medium soft. I would not use this as a next to the skin product like socks or a sweater but it might make a decent scarf. Something you wear for a short while and then take off. Maybe mittens? Oh well, I did not smooth this down at all while I was spinning. I am discovering that since I am not smoothing things down, I have a harder time getting an even yarn. When I do what I see others doing, spin and then gently pull to pull out the bumps I just wind up with thin spots. Something else to work on!
The English Gotland fibers had two different types of fibers. The long springy gray fibers and the shorter less springy white fibers. It carded beautifully but the differences in staples seemed to result in little clumps of fiber sticking up and falling out. I did not smooth this as I went so it will be interesting to see how this washes up.
The Icelandic and Romney both carded up beautifully, the Romney seemed to have a lot more loft than the Icelandic. Neither had many nepps but also neither spun up completely smoothly either. Possibly an error of the operator rather than a fault of the fiber. Neither seemed soft enough for next to the skin projects. I did not smooth them down while spinning.
I had some Llama Fiber and Cashgora that I spun up as well. I did not bother carding either of these fibers. There was not enough Llama to bother and I felt that my hand cards would be too coarse to process the Cashgora. Both of these fibers spun like a dream, the Llama was a little sticky (Probably due to processing oils).
I cannot wait to see how all of these fiber will turn out in the end. I will say that one of the fibers, the English Gotland I believe, wound up splitting in a place and had to be tied back together resulting in a flaw in the skein. This skein and the other that I plied to make room for the bobbin have both been soaked for an hour or so. They are both hung up to dry and I cannot wait to see what they will look like when I dry. (I also have some fiber drying that I washed and rinsed very thoroughly. It came to me a bit sticky and so I hope it was lanolin that I have succeeded in washing off. I only did about half of the batch if this does not work, or felts the fiber, I will have to see what else I can do.)
Happy Crafting, more information about the skein of samples and the sticky fibers in the next episode. Dun, Dun, Dun.