I managed to get more scraped off with my hand drill, this amount of progress makes me think that my project will take the next couple of months to finish.
Keeping that in mind, I went to the hardware store to get another drill bit because the times were wearing off of the one I have already. The gentleman asked me why I wasn’t using a paint stripper, I did not have an answer for that! Now I am using a paint stripper on my piece, starting tomorrow. He also recommended a liquid rust remover that I am hoping will do some good. I am really excited about this and cannot wait to see what a difference the paint stripper will make!
It turns out that the floor loom I was gifted with has a 50″ weaving width. Since the beater it came with is 10 dent that means if I want to take full advantage of the width of the loom I need 500 Ends Per Inch-epi (if the thread I am using is 10 epi). This is great, I am so very excited about it. My mother’s handyman is going to get the entire thing fixed up, at some point. Right now I am thinking that it may be ready for me by next spring or summer, giving me enough time to come up with an appropriate project and gather together the materials I might need. Since there is no update on the status of my loom, except going nowhere fast, I do not have any updated pictures.
I have joined a couple of Facebook groups that are really neat, ‘Fiber Bargain Basement (De-stash)’, and ‘Fiber Artists and Yarn Spinners ‘. Both are wonderful, though I have not purchased anything from the de-stash group at this time they seem to be good bargains.
It has been a while since I have had time to craft and therefor post about crafting. Life does take funny turns, good and bad often intertwining until you are not certain which way to look. I have completed my second piece on my rigid heddle loom, but have no pictures yet. It was an experiment in selvedges, beating, and color. I have not had an opportunity to wash the piece so once it is finished by washing and drying I will declare it a success or failure, probably a scarf really!
The bad, mom is going to need surgery and they consider her a high risk candidate. We will do everything we can to keep her as long as she retains a good quality of life. Prayer is about all that will help. The good is a student going to the community college I work at had a large metal Jack Floor Loom she was not certain of what she was going to do with. Upon hearing of my interest in weaving she offered me that loom in addition to a rigid heddle loom. The rigid heddle loom is beautiful it needed a front apron bar and probably a new heddle. I am very excited to have received this loom. I am in awe of my floor loom. I will confess, I am very dismayed at the state. It could be a lot worse and there is a basic frame to work with but it needs a lot of work before I would consider putting my clean yarn on it. Especially if you consider how long it takes to warp a loom, there is no point in warping on a dirty loom.
It was a physical therapy loom created by the G.E. Miller Inc. company out of Yonkers, NY. They are still in existence today though I do not think they make looms any longer (I plan on calling or e-mailing to find out). Here are a few shots of what my loom looks like now, I meant to get some of it assembled but I was so excited to get started I forgot and had disassembled the heddles before I remembered. You can see the loom, the paint is rustier in person; the heddle frames. The heddles and their rusted shafts in a bucket with my work gloves, and the identifier sticker on the reed frame. It looks good in the pictures and fortunately the basic structure is sound. I look forward to getting it in perfect order again though it will take a ton of work.