I am not sure what is wrong with my water/wool/microwave but the methods that everyone else swears by don’t work for me. During the summer I used Kool-Aid to dye some fiber. Everyone swore that you had to use heat to set the color (which makes ice dying very confusing to me…), however I rinsed my fiber extremely well and have had no problems with the color running. With my Drum Carder coming soon I dug up some left over white fiber and decided to pick up some dyes to experiment with. There was a Black dye calling my name so I purchased it in addition to the same food coloring dyes I usually use. (I do plan on getting some Wilton Dyes soon).
I went through my method of soaking the wool in hot water and vinegar. The wool is wrung out, the water dumped from the bowl, the fiber put back in. Next the dye, more vinegar and very hot water are added. The wool is left to soak up as much dye as it can.
In this case I decided to microwave the fiber for the five minutes recommended, however the fiber began to boil before it was well into the third minute, when it began to splatter in my microwave I decided to discontinue the experiment and pull the fiber. After it cooled down and took as much dye as it seemed it would I rinsed the fiber, and rinsed the fiber, and rinsed the fiber. After a great many rinses the dye stopped coming out and the results were…well disappointing.
The coiled Brown/Purplish things at the top right are my ‘black’ fiber. Oh well, the fibers that I overdyed with Yellow are beautiful, since I skipped the microwave the colors seem more vibrant. The multi-colored batt at the top left should make a beautiful base for my first ‘official batt’ and I am very excited. That piece was hemorrhaging dye until I soaked it with some pure vinegar, after that the color decided to stay put.
I am positive that most people have great success cooking/boiling/steaming their fiber. I am certain that they have tried these methods without the heat and have had the fiber return to white, retaining little to no dye, (still can’t understand how they ‘need’ heat when they dye with ice cubes, have to research that more). My experiments have lead me down a slightly different path. Perhaps when I wash a finished piece, not finished yarn I’ve done that with no color leaking, my experience will be different, but for right now, when I’m dying with those little bottles of ‘easter egg’ dye, I’m not going to use any extra heat. Perhaps a bit more vinegar, but I’ll use hot water and vinegar to see how things turn out.
When I move onto ‘professional dyes’, RIT, Wilton Gel, I will revise my experiments. Until then;