These are the results of my Kool-Aid experiment. They were created from the wool I had received with my Schacht Wheel (I’m not really sure what it is). A very pretty wool that did not felt on me when I tried this! I put 3 Kool-Aid lemonaid packets into a plastic shoe box with about 2-4 oz of wool (I do not have a kitchen scale so it is all estimated). I then poured enough water to cover the wool and added about 10 drops of food coloring. The resulting fiber was the fire orange color. After letting it set for about 30 minutes I took it out and began to rinse the fiber. A lot of the dye started to come out of the fiber as I was rinsing. Since I feared losing the beautiful color I decided to use some vinegar to soak the fiber and retain the color, after a 15 minute soak and a thorough rinsing the color remained and the fiber didn’t even have a vinegar stink.
There was a lot of dye left in the water so I decided to throw more fiber into it, again somewhere between 2-4 oz of wool, and another packet of lemonaid kool-aid to help things set. It soaked for about 30 minutes and when rinsed created the beautiful yellow that can be found in both skeins.
I think that kool-aid (helped along with some food coloring if needed) is a great introductory method to dying. I look forward to more experiments in the future, but some fiber is calling my name to be spun!